Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Templestowe Park Primary School site links to American dictionary site

When I see a local primary school linking to an American based dictionary site dictionary.com it concerns me. I’m passionate about the Australian English language and in particular the preferred Australian English spelling. I found for many years I was confused with the spelling of many words but I didn’t know why. I’ve been fortunate as I now understand more about the language and the evolution of our language. I’ve spent hundreds of hours researching the preferred Australian English spelling. To see a local school link to an American resource is a real concern and disappoints me as it can make it harder for young students.

If you look up the word curb you’ll find the meaning of the word which is not the meaning in Australia. I could go through many examples but using a reference which is primarily aimed at an American market to me shouldn’t be on an Australian’s schools web site.

I know teachers are skilled professionals and have their beliefs in the best way to teach young people. For me having access to Word Check, a product I created, which gives me the preferred Australian English spelling of a word, is a tool which could assist anyone wanting to check if they are using the preferred Australian English spelling and check the meaning against a UK based authoritative resource.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.OnlineConnections.com.au
Call 0415 910 703 if you need assistance with your computer.


No comments: