Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Melissa Templestowe (Melissa Cakes). How the place has changed over time.

We were talking recently about how I helped Nick at Barnacle Bills. I met Nick initially as the owner of the Templestowe Milk Bar. Nick was the only local business owner that asked what I did and as a result ended up asking me to do some work for him. That was  14 years ago. I’m always amazed at how the local businesses never ask what we do and look for ways to use the services of their customers’ businesses. One of the aims of JustLocal is to encourage local businesses to think about using the products and services of their customers first before looking elsewhere. My policy is to use the services of customers as a first preference and then look further afield. But I digress. What has this to do with Melissa you might ask.

When we first moved to the area Melissa Cakes was a Barnacle Bill’s franchise. I didn’t know the initial owners but Nick purchased Barnacle Bill’s franchise. Later he converted the business to a La Porchetta franchise. I still have a copy of the menu I did for Nick in 1997. A glass of Coca Cola and a cappuccino were both $1.20 each. Pizzas came in three sizes which were small medium and large. A large pizza today would probably have been around the same size as the medium and cost at little over $5.

The business subsequently changed hands and Melissa Cakes is now the current business.

How things change over time.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.OnlineConnections.com.au
www.JustLocal.com.au/3106


No comments: