Saturday, July 7, 2012

Post Office boxes at Templestowe Post Office may indicate the state of the economy.

I was just at the Post Office box to check for mail and I was quite surprised with the number of boxes now available to rent.

<<< photo missing >>>

There are 615 post office boxes of which 21 are now available for rent.

I've not noticed so many boxes available at one time before. I couldn't help but think perhaps this is a sign of the strength of the economy.

Based on what I've read the number of small businesses has halved over recent years and often small businesses use Post Office boxes.

I have to admit I now wonder if having a Post Office box has the value it once had for me. My business is now focused locally and a Post Office box hides your true location. People like to deal with other locals so a real local address lets others know you are a local.

In addition, many businesses won't ship to a Post Office box and driving to and from the Post Office to collect mail seems like a waste of time and petrol.

Maybe the number of boxes for rent just indicates others and reconsidering like I am.

If you are reconsidering your Post Office box give yourself a long change over period. You'll want to change your postal address and use up preprinted stationery and business cards.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.OnlineConnections.com.au
Call 0415 910 703 if you require help with your computer.
No problem too small.

No comments: