Sunday, July 29, 2012

Directories clogging up Google search results for Australians

Often I find the results provided by Google search are next to useless. If you search all pages you end up getting many directories and large sites from overseas. The actual sites of the business I’m looking for is unlikely to appear. If you reduce the search to pages from Australia it is better, but then the results of overwhelmed by directories of review sites. I find others feel the same way.

To make it easier for Australians for find local businesses I’ve decided to add a Search feature to JustLocal. JustLocal doesn’t require people to search. The aim is for people to have single-click access to businesses in an area. However, I appreciate it will take some time until the goal of JustLocal is realised. In the meantime, people will still search to find sites on the internet, but the Search feature on JustLocal now makes it easier for Australians to find local businesses.

First the Search is limited to only find results from pages on sites which use Australian domains. That removes large overseas companies dominating the results. Next I’ve identified and filtered out dozens of directories and review sites.

Now if I search for “Doncaster East Pizza” I get a good list of the sites in the area and that is the result I want.

Give the Search feature of JustLocal a go and let me know what you think. If you find a directory or review site in the search results I’ve missed, let me know and I’ll add the site to the exclude list.

Kelvin Eldridge
http://www.justlocal.com.au/
Helping the local community prosper by strengthening local business.

No comments: